Atlus has revealed that they’re releasing two Utawarerumono titles for the west! Aquaplus‘ Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is planned to be released this Spring, while its sequel Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth will be released this Fall. In addition, both games will be released for PS4 and PS Vita! The game is priced $49.99 / CA$64.99 for the PS4 version and $39.99 / CA$54.99 for PS Vita version.
Mask of Deception follows the story of Haku, a mysterious amnesiac who awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness wearing nothing but a hospital gown and sporting a splitting headache. He’s rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail.
They eventually team up, and Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
The game was originally released in Japan as Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen. The story itself starts as the protagonist awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness full of deadly creatures, with nothing but a splitting headache. He’s eventually rescued by a girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beast-like tail. Finding that the hapless man has no memory of anything, Kuon decides to take him into her care, naming him Haku. As their journey takes them across the land, Haku will encounter more characters, build deep relationships, and find himself dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato. The game fill feature English text with Japanese audio.
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
How much do you like this article? Let everybody know by clicking below: