It’s been a while since we last got a news from Stardew Valley which was about its Nintendo Switch version. This time, finally, a new one is coming! Stardew Valley multiplayer mode is launched! Take note that it’s still on beta phase. In this mode, players can have as many as four players join a session via Steam and/or LAN via a host farm.
What do you need to do to join the beta?
- Log in to your Steam account
- Go to your Games Library
- Right click on Stardew Valley, select Properties –> Betas
- Enter the Beta access code “jumpingjunimos” and hit “Check Code”
- After completion, select the beta branch option on the Beta selection drop down menu.
- If you’ve done that correctly, Steam will start downloading the update.
it’s recommended that you backup your save files located in %APPDATA%\StardewValley\Saves (Windows) or ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves (Mac and Linux), before playing the update. Your save files are located in
It is also recommended to remove any mods installed that haven’t been updated for v1.3, which list yo can see here.
How do you host your farm?
For existing farm:
- Build a cabin for your friends to live in as each player needs to have their own home on the farm. You can build as many as three cabins.
- Save the game after the cabin are built.
- Return to the title screen and open co-op menu.
For new farm:
- If you are starting a new farm, cabins will already be built there
- Return to title screen and open co-op menu.
- Select ‘Host’ tab and ‘Host new farm’.
- There are new options on the left that allow you to pre-build up to 3 cabins
In addition, there are new options in settings menu:
‘Server Mode’ configures the visibility of your server:
- Friends-Only: only people on your friends list in Steam (or GOG) can see and join your server.
- Invite-Only: only people you send invitations (or invite codes) to will be able to join your server.
- Offline: shuts the server down immediately. This will disconnect all players besides yourself.
- Accept IP connections: allows players on your LAN to join your game.
- Enable new character creation: allows players who connect to your server to create a new character on your farm.
Inviting people to your farm
By using co-op menu
If your server is running, your Steam/GOG friends will be able to see and join your farm through their co-op menu directly. However, it is only possible if your server is set to ‘Friends-Only,’ and your Steam privacy settings permit friends to see your game library.
As host, you can send invitations from the settings menu using the ‘Invite Friend…’ button. After the recipient accepts your invitation, it will automatically launch Stardew Valley on their end and connect to your game.
If the person you want to invite is not on your friends list, you can invite them using an invite code. To get your code, open your settings menu > multiplayer > show invite code. Your invite code will change each time you reload the game. To use the code, your friend should launch the game, and then in the co-op menu choose ‘Enter Invite Code…’
To use this method, you must both be on the same network, i.e. behind the same router. Launch the game and host your farm through the co-op menu. Find out your computer’s IP address when the game is loaded.
Once you have your IP address, your friend should open the co-op menu, click the ‘Join LAN game’ button and type it there.
If something goes wrong or you want to know about features, check the official website here!