The long-awaited Critical Mode difficulty of Kingdom Hearts III is now available as a free update in all regions. For those unfamiliar, Critical Mode is the Kingdom Hearts franchises highest difficulty, with fans saying it offers a serious challenge. The developers wanted into adjust more than the stats of Sora and his enemies.
The details of the mode were included in patch notes over on the Square Enix website. While Critical mode was added in 1.04, additional content also came in update 1.05 that came soon after.
- Critical mode added, can use new abilities
- Various enemy behavior changed
- You can view the Frozen Slider minigame treasure from the in-game mobile portal, or at the results screen
- Items you’ve already synthesized will have checkmarks in Moogle Shop
- Gameplay tip messages added
- Various bug fixes
- When starting a new game, you can bring over things like Keyblades from your clear save data
- Photo mode updated, storage limit increased to 200 photos
- Various bug fixes
Via the official Xbox website, informed that Sora’s HP and MP is halved, and “decreases the frequency of situation commands and magic that Sora and team can use.” In addition the name of some of these new abilities include Critical Counter, Critical Recharge, and Critical Converter. As expected, these abilities are exclusive to Critical Mode. Lastly, when transferring Keyblades from another save file to a new game, they will be in their basic un-upgraded form.
Critical Mode is here!?
— KINGDOM HEARTS (@KINGDOMHEARTS) April 24, 2019
As of right now, Kingdom Hearts III is 2019’s best-selling game so far. Tetsuya Nomura has also said that there will be a huge DLC by the end of the year so players will have a new reason to visit the many worlds of Sora and friends again. The content in this upcoming DLC is still unannounced, but with E3 2019 right around the corner hopefully, we’ll learn more. Speaking of which, Square Enix just announced that they’ll be holding a press conference on Monday, June 10.